Nothing says spring louder than fresh romaine lettuce and homemade caesar dressing. I made Martha Stewart version the other day and it was a savory delight. Garlic luvas unite! Make this delicious salad tonight and pair it with homemade croutons, grilled chicken, or shrimp.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 4 small cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 12 anchovy fillets (can be omitted)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, (2 to 3 lemons total)
- 2 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried mustard (u may substitute Grey Poupon)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Mash garlic and salt using a large mortar and pestle. Add anchovies, zest, capers, mustard, and pepper; mash to form a paste. Stir in lemon juice. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, working pestle until emulsified; work in cheese. (Or, puree all ingredients except oil and cheese in a blender. Add oil in a slow steady stream, blending until emulsified. Transfer to a bowl; stir in cheese.) Dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days. Serve at room temperature.